Your GTFS is a Feed that contains a Dataset about transit services from one or more Agencies.
Feeds and Datasets
A GTFS Feed is a static repository, usually hosted at a single location. Trillium's GTFS Feeds remain at the same URL, which is best practice for ensuring data consumers like Google Maps and the Transit App are able to always locate the most recent Dataset. A Feed is rarely visible to the public and primarily accessed by data consumers. A rider will never see a Feed name in a tool like Google Maps.
A Dataset is the changing values within the Feed. Because schedules change, the Dataset of a Feed must be periodically updated. While we talk about posting "new feeds," what we really mean is posting "new datasets to an existing feed."
Feeds and Agencies
A Feed may contain multiple Agencies, which are the public-facing names of transit providers. Most Feeds contain one Agency, but some may contain several if those Agencies work as a consortium or share a great deal of service provision elements like Stops.
In GTFS Manager, the following are assigned to an Agency:
The following are assigned to a Feed:
Edit Agency and Feed Details
Agency and Feeds details are not available for direct editing in GTFS Manager. If any of the following have changed, or require updates on apps like Google Maps, please email email@example.com to request an update:
- Agency Name: The public-facing name of the transit provider
- Agency URL: Top-level homepage for the Agency
- Agency Phone: Best number for general public to call to receive information about services
- Agency Fare URL: Top-level page for Fares, if any
These all relate to customized features that can be turned on/off by Trillium agents. They include:
- Export Stop code or a unique stop_id as stop_id (for use with some real-time integrations)
- Export Block name or a unique block_id as block_id (for use with some real-time integrations)
- Export a unique_id as route_id (for use with some real-time integrations)
- Export Interpolated Stop times (to have all stops have an estimated arrival time when published)
- GTFS-flex (for use with deviated and dial-a-ride services)
- Transit Alerts (add-on for posting alerts to services indicating service modifications, in less than a minute)